Thursday, May 13, 2010

Two Roads.....



One of my most favorite poems coming up through school was one by a man named Robert Frost. The poems name was "The Road Not Taken" As you read the poem you can sense the urgency in Frost writing that he is faced with the choice of which way he would go. He understood that in life there would be two roads that each and everyone would come to. He understood that we would be faced to make a choice for ourselves not based on what others were doing. Not based on what way looked suitable to walk down.

Matthew 7:13-14, Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

As you pass through life you find that yes not only was Frost right but the writer in the book of Matthew understood that same concept. I have grown up in this and at an age of only 24 years old I am saddened to say that I have seen many take that path that  was wide, it was fair and looked more appealing. 
Many have said that this Apostolic truth that we hold so dearly is no longer applicable or it does not fit this society any longer. 
Many are standing on the precipice of two roads. Looking down and the appealing view makes you ask yourself if this is the way to take. Its view looks full of life and full if excitement. 
The other is sometimes hard to see, you have to stop and pay close attention to the second road. Its over grown with thorns and briars. There is a narrow path through the middle but oh the joy as you begin to walk down. 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing...and for reminding me Nathan. I remember when you first fell in love with this poem. It seems like from the first time you read it that something in it struck a chord deep within you, and at the same time...you felt that calling to walk that path to where you are today. What a difference......

    ReplyDelete